[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Sunday, August 03, 2008

[Just slightly more than 24 hours]
By the time you read this post, Japanese artist Shigeru Ban would have boarded and left Singapore on a jet plane.

When I was first asked to get Ban's schedule from the Exhibitions team, everything was pretty hush hush. Apparently, Ban is akin to A-lister artistes at MediaCorp and it would be a pleasure to meet him. So when I finally heard that he was going to be here this weekend, I asked for the schedule once again. And I got it.

Ban, the artist of the Containart Pavilion, arrived here last evening. This morning, a special interview was arrange for a local print media. I had the chance to get an upclose unobtrusive encounter with the man - almost trailing him everywhere he went except for the private lunches and tea sessions.



Sitting in the artwork that he designed, he cosied up to the reporter oblivious to the surroundings. Meanwhile, workers were putting together the uncompleted parts.



After the hour-long interview, Ban took most of the afternoon to speak and dine with sponsors zipping to and fro from the Containart Pavilion. While he moves around, the staff also take turns to travel to the Containart Pavilion to entertain and make sure his schedule is on track.







When he departed from the Containart Pavilion the last time, he managed a smile and a wave to the team. Though I did not get to speak to him I felt it was a pleasure to see the artist in person. I would have loved to chat about his style of art.

The Containart Pavilion is developing day by day. Today, the roof's stucture is in place. Some parts of the roofing has been completed.



But by the time you read this, the artist would have left the country. All that is left is this magnificent site-specific installation and the memories of his visit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The design's pretty cool. Would it be kept there for long?

Monday, August 04, 2008 1:10:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Hi Yoong Kheong, yup the Containart Pavilion will be there till 16 November. Do drop by to catch the Singapore Biennale 2008.

Monday, August 04, 2008 11:26:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home