[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

[Salt Lake City]
I was happy to return to Salt Lake City after 13 years. There has been much progress since 1995 when I led a delegation of Young PAP members to see a part of the US that is very different from the East and West coasts.

Former US Ambassador to Singapore, Jon Huntsman Jr is now the popular Republican Governor of the State of Utah. He and his wife hosted us to dinner at the elegant Governor's Mansion. They have seven children including two adopted girls, one from China and one from India. The Huntsmans are great philanthropists. At Philadelphia, I visited the Huntsman Centre at Wharton. Here at Salt Lake City, their donation made possible the development of a world class institute for cancer research at the University of Utah in 10 years.


With Gov and Mrs Jon Huntsman

I took the opportunity to call on the leaders of the Mormon Church. Elder Dallin H Oaks, an apostle, hosted us to lunch. We then called on Presidents Monson, Eyring and Uchtdorf. This was followed by an interesting visit to the Mormon Humanitarian Centre. The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints is one of the fastest growing religions in the world. Though still small, they do a lot of good work. For example, they contributed tens of millions of dollars to help victims of the Boxing Day tsunami.


With Elder Dallin Oaks


Group Photo with Presidents Monson, Eyring and Uchtdorf


At the Humanitarian Centre

Do read my posts on Beyond SG and link up on Facebook if you have an account

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home