[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Monday, May 04, 2009

[Passing the baton]
If all goes well, I will chair my last monthly Youth Executive Committee meeting tonight - I have decided not to run for a second term. It is a personal choice and something that I have thought about for a long time.

Having spent the last two years achieving the objectives that I have set, I am satisfied (I will release my closing speech in due course). It is not easy to be a good leader. And I have learnt and applied many political theories during my term as Chairman. I feel the time is right to try something that does take up too much commitment from me in terms of time. Being at the helm for too long also causes complacency to set in.

Further, I love greater challenges and a not so static environment. It is not that I mind doing same thing and following the same routine year after year. It is not that I mind that sometimes the senior grassroots leaders step in with their perspective on things. But I will not deny that many of the seniors have taught me valuable lessons.

Do not get me wrong - grassroots leaders are essential people in any community.

I was at a meeting with several members of a committee that disburses bursaries to needy residents and through that experience I realised that these are the people who know the community inside out - details of every family - and decide within the general rules of the bursary applications. These are the people who sometimes fight for families in which they think deserve bursaries. Such commendable things they do which we should not forget.

So as I end my term and start anew, I must say that it has been a pleasure doing grassroots work. For the time being, I'll just take a short break - one that will help me recharge. Before you know it, I'll be back in action yet again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home