[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Saturday, September 02, 2006

[Nervous, stressed and a huge party]
A lot of people have been asking me this and that. I don't think there is a need to explain the negative stuff.

Some have commented that it is a good start. And yes, my blog is not the only site in the blogosphere. In fact, Minister reads Gayle Goh too.

Despite the positive comments - pretty nice people there - and many negative ones on Tomorrow.sg, I feel that having a Minister blog here is a decent (no more ingenious) idea. But anyway, this is still quite a low profile thing and it is still manageable.

I am now a first year social science student at Singapore Management University. And I am proud of it. I have good and supportive friends. And yes, friends are special people.

But enough of dispelling the remarks. Back to serious stuff.

I guess this will be a pretty different style of blogging - need to tweak it a bit now that I've got a great guest. Minister will share his side and I'll try to share mine - so far so good. You can call it diversity.

So one word to sum up the visit today - stressed.

The planning was whirlwind. And because I am only in year one, I don't have much contacts. Thanks to Melvin, things got done pretty easy. We just had to only discuss a little and the plan fell into place.

I find Sheikh Mohamed (we had to address him as "your excellency") a very easy going person and friendly. He mentioned to me that this was his third or fourth time visiting Singapore and even stayed in Singapore for a while. He is also allergic to chocolate stuff and therfore only ate a little of Edmund's delicious brownies.

I loved the cheese cakes though. Walloped two. And I will visit them in future for more.

I would have loved to join Minister and Sheikh Mohamed on the MRT trip and dinner but had promised earlier to help out for the Singapore Biennale 2006. Prime Minister was there and host Najip Ali had several very corny jokes. He even described the rostrum that MICA Minister Lee Boon Yang would use for his address to the audience.

"You know when Minister's go for events, they give their speeches from the rostrum. No rostrum cannot give speech. You never see them here giving a speech (away from the rostrum)," he retorted.

The balloon thingy went well. Even though I reached around 7pm and the balloons were not inflated yet, we managed to get the structure up and flying. Then I moved on to the Guest Registration counter.

The VIP lounge was cool. It was a tent fully air-conditioned with the specially designed artistic furniture by volunteers. It was party, party and more partying. Of course, by the time I went in PM had already left.

White wine, Carlsberg, red wine, punch and lime juice was the order of the day. Najip joked and asked the crowd: "Do you think Ministers drink (as in alcohol)".

He then answered: "Ministers also know how to party".

To that, I say a rousing yes. Sure they do man. I say that with conviction too.

P.S. On behalf of Minister I'd like to give my sincere thanks to Jonathan, Timothy, Jeremy, Edmund, staff at SMU, security people at SMU, MFA staff, Police and the wonderful SOs and people who made this possible in one way or another - we would not have done it without you.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i saw a photo you took with chin Weihao. You were from SAJS also?? I was in the same batch as weihao, but i just can't for the life of me remember any ephraims in the batch of 95. What's your chinese name?

Saturday, September 02, 2006 5:08:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 10:59:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ephraim,

do take lots of care and all the best to u..

Sunday, September 03, 2006 12:22:00 pm

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Hmmm... I think Weihao is one year younger than me. My Chinese name in hanyu pinyin is Li Chuan Zhi.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:50:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey airframe, why u delete the post away?
scare PAP read ah? LOL

Monday, September 04, 2006 11:48:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

This site is not for flaming. Hope you understand.

Monday, September 04, 2006 8:33:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but u deserve to be flamed! a pap dog deserves to be flamed, hope u understand

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 12:16:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk aboout flaming - aren't you the Ephraim who tried to spam Rockson? Trust Georeg Yeo to dine with you, what a total disconnect. This is better than the mee siam saga.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 8:43:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, look to flamers out there. This space is his own space. So what if he is pro-freaking establishment? He is perfectly entitled to his own opinions, just as you are to your own.

I think George Yeo blogging is a good step forward. He obviously cannot stake his personal claim on policies - there is the party whip. But that he has taken the step to try to connect with the bloggers out here is commendable.

Unlike Penny Low's overhyped blog, nicely pointed out by Mr Wang, I think George Yeo just wanted to post some personal thoughts up on a small scale and it was the request of Ephraim.

No I don't know Ephraim, nor do I think much of YP. But the man is entitled to his views, and for goodness sakes' this is his bloody personal blog. If you can't stand it, DON'T READ IT.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 11:32:00 am

 
Blogger ESTY said...

to the 'Anonymous'
ppl wan haf blog tu sae out how they feel.their problem marhs.
you not happi wher siia.he already start a blog quite good le marhs.
other bloggers n sae out how they feel bot tis n tat..
den u cum here spam..nothin btr tu do arhs.ii jus came here tu read..cos read bot tis blog in dhe newspaper :) found it cool tu haf
George Yeo start a blog :)
bye.jus droppin by..

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:27:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aiya airframe is a chow chee bye balls licker of course sure tio flame. if i see him during reservist i will give him one punch!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:40:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not the first time George Yeo chose a loser to test the internet waters. The last time his champion was a guy with the name of Harold Fock.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:54:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Dear Arthur,
I did not and would not want to flame Rockson. Probably someone else did. I don't think it was posted using my account. Well since it was so long ago already I don't think there is a need to explain. Hope it clarifies your baseless statement. Chill.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 1:50:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home