[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Sunday, October 01, 2006

[Mid-Autumn Harmony Nite 2006]
1. I was surprised by the number of people who joined us this evening for the Mid-Autumn lantern festival at Punggol Park. There must have been easily over 2000. Some were watching the show. Others brought their kids to the stalls where you could learn how to make mooncakes, prepare bunga manga or brew Chinese tea. There was a long queue for henna tatoos. A few families with young children preferred to be on their own by the lake, lighting lanterns, playing with sparklers and candles, just enjoying themselves. A group of young men and women lazed on a mat with their fancy dogs, two wearing jackets which the owner told me were a fashion statement and not for insulation. The weather was pleasant except for the slight haze. I bumped into an old NS colleague from 3 Signal Battalion (1978). He was shocked that I could remember his name. Actually I surprised myself.



2. Harmony RC and CHIJ Our Lady of the Nativity were the joint organisers. The CHIJ kids were wonderful, patiently teaching adults how to do this and that. Behind them were of course their dedicated teachers. The Principal is a bundle of energy.



3. The highlight of the evening was our procession around the lake (slightly over 1 km) led by the dragon and lion group from Punggol Community Centre. I felt like a kid again leading everyone with my little paper lantern. It was fun. One pretty Damai schoolgirl, dressed and made up as Chang E, accompanied us. The young men and women of the dragon and lion group were with me earlier that evening at Hougang Mall at another Mid-Autumn celebration. I admired their spirit and stamina.

4. It's nice to see the way the Mid-Autumn Festival has evolved in our urban environment drawing in children of all races. In the old days, we had our processions along dark tracks in rural areas, sometimes accompanied by ducks and geese. Things are more organised now but the spirit is the same.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg Mr Yeo, you actually know how to upload videos on youtube? not bad....not bad

Monday, October 02, 2006 1:05:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No... the surprising thing is that he can actually blog... We learn something new everyday, HOR? :)

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 12:31:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home