[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

[Disconnecting ...]
1. I've just come back from Ho Chi Minh City this afternoon after 4 days. Downloading the emails took some time and clearing them will take a few more hours. I decided not to bring the notebook along because we were on vacation and being connected would have spoilt it. But the longer you are disconnected, the more you dread the work that piles up. That's life.

2. Before the days of email, the files would reach up to the ceiling (I'm exaggerating a little) when you come back after a long trip overseas. Clearing the backlog might take days. Except for countries like Myanmar, you can stay connected almost anywhere in the world now. After a full day's work, you still have to plough through the emails after coming back to your hotel room. The result often is not enough sleep. However, there is much less of a backlog waiting for you when you return home. You can't win both ways. When I'm travelling, it makes a big difference whether or not there is broadband. So many emails now come attach with huge files. If I'm on a dial-up connection, it takes forever. I've told MFA staff that the most important thing to look for in a hotel room is the quality of the line. After that, whether or not there is a reasonable gym.

3. But it is important to be disconnected from time to time. All of us need time out. When I led a Young PAP delegation to China ten years ago, the thought that crossed my mind as we embarked the ship in Chongqing for the river cruise throught the Three Gorges was that, finally, no handphone connection for three days. We could be like Li Bai cut off from the rest of the world. As we got on the deck, a big signboard proudly announced the availability of Inmarsat telephony. Welcome to the modern age. Maybe what need disconnecting are not the lines but our preoccupations.

Do also read my posts on Beyond SG

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mr Yeo,

This is a short note to thank you for taking the time to blog. I have read over 70% of your blog posts and have found them enjoyable and enriching reading.

Please keep up the good work and I hope to continue reading blog posts from you.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 11:53:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Yeo,
I found the postings enjoyable,constructive ,intringuing.You've even described the intricacies of your personal life ,which I'd loved reading!
Do please continue to blog,so that the men on the ground would be connected to our leaders in Government.The wonders of the digital age,I suppose :)

Thursday, December 21, 2006 1:00:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home