[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Thursday, April 19, 2007

[I am a hubber]
My visit to the HDB Hub at Toa Payoh today was unexpected. I was at a dim sum outlet in Toa Payoh and decided to chill out at The Coffee Bean outlet at the HDB Hub.

While sitting and sipping chilled coffee, I looked to the basement and thought to myself that it would be great to check out what was downstairs.

It is none other than the HDB Gallery.



You get transported to the past - the 50s to be exact all through to the 90s as you go into this tunnel-like walkway with screens showing the evolution of the HDB.



It's a little like the TV serial "Growing Up". Not sure if many remember that.

There are scenes of slumps and squatters and a little on the Bukit Ho Swee fire in 1961.



There's also a segment dedicated to green developments for HDB flats in the future and how modern technology will change flats in the future.

At level 3, there's the Habitat Forum.

Specially designed and furnished 2, 3, 4 and 5-room flats are on display in this gallery.

This one's a study area in the 4-room model. It has parquet flooring for the bedrooms and the master bedroom is fully carpeted.



The 5-room model is more stylo and packs a punch.



It is based on a zen like concept with spaces tucked away for relaxation. Behind the sitting area is a armchair with a display area to show off collectables such as vases and Chinese paintings.



If only my home was as cosy as this.

One would have thought this was a condominum apartment instead.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Its a nice little spot there which showcases our uniquely Singaporean way to house people. Being a HDB heartlander, I can appreciate how much care and thought went into public housing in Singapore.

Friday, April 20, 2007 8:21:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home