[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Saturday, July 28, 2007

[Afternoon Coffee and Kaya Toast]
1. The Young PAP organised an afternoon 'coffee with George'. Ahem, that's me. It was held at Ya Kun's coffee shop at the basement of Hougang Mall.



2. The subject was: Do our views matter? Taking the cue, I did not speak much by way of introduction and quickly opened the floor to questions. They covered a wide range, from foreign affairs, the Opposition, promotion in the Civil Service, handling public complaints, lack of freedom, the blogosphere to the challenge of China and India. Although we ended at 4.30pm, as the coffee and kaya toast were getting cold, many stayed back to ask more questions or to offer comments. It was a lively section. Shoppers paused to observe the proceedings which was what we wanted. I told the media reporters that one objective of the public meeting was to be accessible and seen to be so.

3. Joy and her YP members had designed a nice T-shirt made of dry fit material. Not the usual PAP T-shirt, this, but one looking quite trendy. To introduce it, four girls from Damai Secondary School did a hip-hop dance which drew a sizeable crowd. They choreographed the dance themselves. When I asked who was the leader, they said they had no leader; it was a group effort. Not bad.



4. Our first public meeting was at the Ben and Jerry's ice-cream parlour at Cathay. This was our second. I wonder what we are going to do next. I told the YP that I will do as told.

Do also read my posts on Beyond SG

5 Comments:

Blogger h@n| said...

It's good that the government is having these "mini" interaction with the public, especially with the younger generation. I believe youth nowadays are more outspoken, and they would be delighted to have a say in these issues.

Keep it up.

http://enrealite.blogspot.com

Sunday, July 29, 2007 10:23:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice T-shirt! What do the ministers do with all the T-shirts collected? I noticed that every event seemed to have a T-shirt designed for it. Please consider donating them to charities. Thank you.

-TS

Monday, July 30, 2007 8:37:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Minister Yeo,

I have to say "MY GEORGE" you've done it... reach to the people and be where the people are. I believe that if you touch the hearts of the masses and really wanna understand them, no policies, no govt and no authority can stop the love that will flow from the heart. I am also very impressed by your dilligence in updating your site... many die off thru time. I appreciate your effort to stay contacted. Unfortunately, you are not my MP and I do hope we have more MPs like you.

Rgds
AT

Monday, July 30, 2007 12:01:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Minister Mr Yeo.

I understand that you have a busy schedule as being in charge of MFA. Yet you still bothered to make time for all these forums with us and keep up with regular blogging. Thanks for taking an conscious effort to reach out to us. I had personally sent an email to you for this. Never mind if you take a week or two to reply to me. Take your time to reply to me as you see fit with your busy schedule.

Cheers to you from Bernard

Monday, July 30, 2007 11:43:00 pm

 
Blogger George Yeo 杨荣文 said...

Glad Bernard and others enjoyed the coffee and kaya toast session at Hougang Mall. I'm hoping to do this every quarter. I thank the 'anonymous' comment on the t-shirt. Yes, old t-shirts are not wasted. I pass the better ones to the poor in my constituency.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 5:40:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home