[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Friday, August 08, 2008

[Hand-in-hand]
In about 15 minutes it will be National Day. And this nationalistic post would fit in perfectly. This year, the theme is "Celebrating the Singapore Spirit". I am sure that the theme can be interpreted in different ways by different people but here's my take.

The Singapore Spirit is when people from all walks of life come together in a bid to levitate a historic landmark - City Hall. That was what we did for Singapore Biennale 2006. I was part of this artwork by Daniel Malone.



So we held hands. We hoped for something to happen. Something unusual. Something that is different from what we are now. Perhaps even a utopian city. Somewhere we can roam free and not get caught in the rat race.





And then we closed our eyes. We stayed focused. But alas, once daylight sets into our peepers, reality strikes back. All that we thought of were hallucinations perhaps even dreams.



And City Hall remains where it is. It was where Lee Kuan Yew was sworn into office in 1959.

Well, Happy Birthday Singapore!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ephraim,
Bernard's here, back from the states for Singapore 3 weeks already. a happy birthday for all Singaporeans. I also had the opportunity to attend NDP 2008 for the first time in my life as a spectator, thanks to my mom who got the tickets for me and my uncle.
Really a big home-coming experience for me - a returned Singaporean ! Hmm hope to see you and Minister Mr Yeo soon in some gathering, if organize another meeting again.

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:08:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Catch up soon! There'll be another Coffee Talk event soon and some exciting stuff.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:00:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home