[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

[HBS Summit Meetings]
Discussions at the HBS Centennial Summit in the last few days were interesting. The super-theme was of course the financial crisis. At my panel on globalisation and emerging markets, I talked about the crisis marking a shift of power, with Asia becoming a major pole in the world. Power has increasingly to be chaired and those sensitive to cultural differences will enjoy an advantage.

Special sessions were organised with Bill Gates and Larry Summers. Bill Gates work on his foundation is inspiring. It could not have been an easy decision for him to retire so young from Microsoft. With his mop of hair and nerdy glasses, he still looked like a kid.



Speaking with his usual monotone, Larry Summers was sombre in his assessment of the financial crisis. At the panel discussion with Michael Porter chairing, concerns were expressed that both in the US and Europe, the bailout of banks would lead to a political reaction against unfettered capitalism.





I took time off for a lunch hosted by Prof Amartya Sen and his wife, Emma. They are such a wonderful couple. We discussed the Nalanda project. There'll be another meeting of the Committee of Mentors in February in Singapore. It was a pleasure to learn that Dr Emma Rothschild is a good friend of Nobel laureate Dr Sydney Brenner whom I know well.



Do read my posts on Beyond SG and link up on Facebook if you have an account

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day Mr. Yeo. We are organizing a conference on ASEAN Cooperation on Economics and Business Education (ACEBE). The conference will be on Jan 15 & 16, 2009.

We would like to invite you as a speaker at the conference. Please let me know if this interest you so I can provide further details.

Lenlen

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:29:00 pm

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Hi Lenlen,

I will check and direct you to the relevant person in charge. Meanwhile, could you give me your email address?

I can be reached at ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Thanks

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:17:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home