[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Monday, December 29, 2008

[Prof Wong Hock Boon - Father of Paediatrics]
Prof Wong passed away at the age of 85 leaving a huge legacy in the many doctors he has mentored and inspired, and in his contribution to medical knowledge. Putting newborn babes with jaundice under UV lamps, for example, was but one of the many innovations he introduced.

He was my neighbour down the street where I lived. When my kids were young, my wife and I would trot them over to his house for consultation when they were suddenly taken ill. He was always helpful and, despite all his achievements, totally without airs. He was all his life a workoholic, going to hospital early in the morning when it was still dark.

My wife and I visited the family on Monday evening. We met some of the many students he taught, not a few of whom are now senior doctors in the medical profession. Everyone had the highest regard for him. We have lost a great man.



Do read my posts on Beyond SG and link up on Facebook if you have an account

1 Comments:

Blogger gigamole said...

A great man indeed. One who should be remembered as a role model and inspiration for all of us.

I have also written something up in remembrance of him.

http://gigomole.blogspot.com/2009/01/emeritus-professor-wong-hock-boon.html

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 12:52:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home