[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Monday, January 19, 2009

[PAP losing touch?]
Last month several youths had met up with a closed-door discussion. Many times, I have had people come up to me to blow trumpets of why the like the PAP. Some of my friends at SMU are very critical. But that discussion last month was the ultimate. I felt it was the most honest discussion I've had so far.

Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo once taught me about leadership. It is 60% IQ and 40% EQ. And perhaps the ruling party has been doing so well in developing the 60% of the system that it has neglected the 40%.

I was looking back at one of my interview transcripts (I always record down what I say) and I had mentioned a caring Singapore Government. But the flaw of the system was that too much is concentrated in top-down policy making that seems to make it "imposed" on the people.

I have no doubts that the Singapore Government cares - and I am not saying this because I am in part of the party. I say this because I have seen what has been done for people who have fallen through the cracks of policy making. The only contention that I have is that perhaps sometimes, this caring side of the Government is seldom seen.

Sometimes we have to take the "bitter medicine" to prepare ourselves for the future ahead. But somehow, there is a tinge of sweet aftertaste which I hope will exist.

So instead of continuing to develop the 60%, effort should be taken to harness the 40%. If only.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
have you really seen people who fell through the cracks? Are you sure that when the Government cares(its all over all TV channels and newspapers),people actually do not know about it?
Then what are the opposition and the people on the ground babbling about?
I can tell you must be pretty ingrained in the system by your choice of words like 'bitter pill'.
Go down to the ground as an anonymous personality..see the old,sick and dying. U'll see people older than your grandmother collecting tin ,cans, paper boxes..and its not that they are happy to work beyond retirement age.
I really seek a Government who cares for the people from its heart(if there is a heart). Altough money is very important,but its not everything.
When you really care..you do not need to be in the newspaper or on TV for people to know..people will know. Otherwise,its just a show.
I do not think i can see it in the current generation of PAP leaders..maybe except Minister Yeo,but I'll observe him further 1st before I further confirm it. The only hope now lies in your generation..Hopefully,you dun get blinded along the way.
On th part about the "60"..i'll give you a 40..for the "40"..I shall see how you respond :)

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:39:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

I think we have to work harder to win the hearts and minds of the people. Hopefully the sincerity shows through and it is not merely a facade.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:05:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why is it that Minister and you double post on blogspot and facebook ? hmm just wondering ...

Friday, January 23, 2009 4:05:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

The reason for double posting is to have a larger reach.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:18:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home