[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Thursday, January 15, 2009

[Red Cliff 2]
War is a zero sum game, one wins and the other loses. In Red Cliff 2, the conclusion was that there is no victor even though it was clear who won the war.

I guess why there was no victor was because it was an internal war - between the Prime Minister and so-called rebels. Such situations result in both parties worse off than before.

Clearly, Red Cliff 2 was a show that is filled with emotional high points - of newfound love and attachment, of sacrifices for love, of the breaking of alliances. But the strategies that relied on interpreting nature's changes made me respect Zhuge Liang. Shows that warfare goes right down to even the slightest detail - the weather.

I found certain parallels to the notion of preparedness. I did not understand why I had to "rush to wait" then "wait to rush" in the army. It all boils down to preparedness. At least before they are deployed, they are prepared and ready to go for a battle.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ephraim, it seems to me that you do not know much on chinese history even though this show does not follow the history in exact. Maybe you can read Romance of the Three Kingdom to know more.

Friday, January 16, 2009 2:49:00 pm

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Indeed. I do not know much about Chinese history just the tip of it and the dynasties through the years. Maybe just a little bit more about Chinese art. Movies like Red Cliff allow me to enjoy Chinese history in a light hearted approach.

Friday, January 16, 2009 3:47:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home