[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Friday, October 24, 2003

[does money make the world go round]
Recently I overheard a conversation in my camp locker room. And no, I wasn’t being nosy. There was this guy who lost his wallet and on the same day within five hours, the wallet was returned to him. He found it in the letterbox. Apparently the person who returned the wallet was very efficient. Here's the twist. The wallet was returned but the person who returned it wasn’t too honest. Like you guessed, the money that was in the wallet was gone.

So much said of that particular person. But the point I am driving across is not against that person. What I am trying to understand is why money is so important. And does money really make the world go round?

According to a survey I read somewhere, Singaporeans are ranked high up the scale of making money.

Is the world like that? Do we study for a degree just to get a job that pays tons? Or do we study because we are interested in the subject matter?

These days, a lot of emphasis is placed on money making. You love to sing. You have a good voice. And you approach a record company. But, sad to say, you get rejected. And it’s not because you can’t sing but ironically it is because you can’t sell.

I know that money is sufficient for survival. But is it everyone’s dream to strike it rich? Most of my friends do bet a little here and there in soccer. And no, I’m not saying that it is wrong. Although it is tempting to go bet on goals I don’t get hooked and I won’t. Why? Because I have seen and read many cases of people going bankrupt because of their compulsive gambling behaviour. And knowing that it harms, I would not even start.

That leads me to another point. Well, if I have all the money in the world, would I be happy? Perhaps I would be partying all my life enjoying my days in a large villa and just sit at home to relax. But no, it’s not challenging at all.

For me, I try to find my happiness in other things. Maybe a stroll down the park with that someone special. Or just watch a movie. It costs a little. But it’s the little things that make me happy. Not a whole wad of notes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home