[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Saturday, July 01, 2006

[Nationalism among the youth]
I was at the National Stadium today for the Singapore Youth Festival.

And this will not be the only time I will be there. There's more to come but can't be revealed because of confidentiality.

As the National Stadium holds its last National Day Parade (for the uninformed, NDP 2007 will be held at the waterfront area on a floatable stage) it is time to look back.

I roamed about hoping to find something interesting to capture and saw this.



But unlike the National Library, the stadium has no distinct red bricks to auction. So how then can we remember the stadium? Perhaps a little minature that is commisioned by some well-know Singaporean sculptor? Or a painting of the stadium?

I mean, we can't sell the red chairs at the grandstand right? It's like so old already.

Come to think of it, the stadium's interior is pretty stylo. Pity I didn't take a snap shot but the lift in the building. The lift has two doors and that connects the VIP lounge to the stadium's west block. You step in, press the floor number and you go up without feeling that you are going up. It's a smooth upward flow!

Apart from that, the flags have gone up too. Patroitic month is coming soon. But of course you won't have to wait till then to show your patriotism to the nation.



There you have it. Flags and more flags.

The Singapore Youth Festival was enjoyable but left me with flu and slight fever. So I must sleep early so that I can perform well at my first race at Bedok Reservoir tomorrow.

My view is that if the SAF has SAF Day Parade then the youth festival is the MOE's equivalent. It's the MOE Parade! Hmmm. Does MOE have a MOE Day by the way?



My brain cells are not working and my head is hot. So I shall end with the finale picture of the youth festival. No fireworks because daddy said no playing with fire, young kids.

And so, red and white balloons fill the sky as the opening parade comes to an end. But for youths, it is the beginning of learning about nationalism.



The uncles and aunties love it too. It's like a small scale version of the National Day Parade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home