[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Sunday, September 03, 2006

[We are a fortunate bunch]
I was on my way to church this morning and I forgot to bring enough cash.

By the time I was in the taxi, it was too late to realise that I had insufficient money - I was already on the CTE.

Thank goodness the driver was not calculative and brought me to my destination for the money I had with me.

Just like every Sunday, church service today was no different except that we had a guest - the Bishop of Kondo.

My youth pastor commented today that the lights on the stage were too strong and it was affecting the words flashed out by the projector for the hymns.

Then I thought in my heart that we are such a fortunate bunch.

Christians that are in third-world countries are happy to do their worship on a grass patch, in an attap house or even by the river. And here we are in Singapore, worshipping in air-conditioned churches, having the best audio system and a nice structure.

Less is always more so they say. Once someone told me you can have everything and yet end up with nothing. But to some people having nothing is everything.

The rest of the day was spent under the hot sun rowing for my upcoming SAVA Sprint dragonboat race at the end of the month.

And I was partying quite a lot the previous two days at the Singapore Biennale - the opening night, the lunch at City Hall and the gala dinner. The invitation cards are pretty nice.



The balloon project - several balloons flew away from the main body that night.



Do visit the exhibits at City Hall. Thought-provoking, religious and very much related to what I am studying. Actually social sciences is quite related to art too. I could gather more information about certain issues expressed through the artists.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ephraim,
what you say about worship is so true. i think sometimes we really do take all these things for granted. but anyway, worship is all about the heart. so whatever it is, as long as we do it with love and adoration in our hearts, thats sufficient i guess. =)

sarah (i rem to comment on your blog!)
your socsc course mate!

Monday, September 04, 2006 8:17:00 pm

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Haha... Thanks for dropping by!

Monday, September 04, 2006 8:29:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PAP dog boleh!!!!!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 12:11:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't see anything wrong with being pro pap. on the contrary, without the significant contributions of pap, you might still be living in an impoverished kumpung [read village] catching fish or playing five stones with an attap or zinc roof over your head instead of living in highly developed, multi-racial & religious, peaceful and progressing singapore where unemployment and crime rates remain one of the lowest in the region. my point is, is the lack of harsh conditions making you lose your objectivity in passing comments?

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 4:11:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you're a writer,
I suppose you
Might like to know
'Thought provoking' should have a
hyphen.

kh

p.s. With reference to the pro-pap thingie, I think it is far more important to ask if someone is able to contribute critical/unique view-points/opinions/perspectives. My view is that I don't care if Ephraim is pro-pap. My view is also that Ephraim doesn't.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:00:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home