[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Monday, October 23, 2006

[Happy Deepavali and Selamat Hari Raya]
While waiting for my sons to have their haircut yesterday at Loyang Point, I was greeted with a "Happy Deepavali" by an Indian shopper, Mr Prem Singh. (He told me he contributed regularly to ST Forum page.) I thought over his greeting and asked myself, why not? Deepavali is the festival of light and I don't have to be an Indian or a Hindu to celebrate it. So, this morning, when I visited one of our ambassadors at SGH, I greeted him and his wife "Happy Deepavali". They were slightly taken aback but responded with good cheer. Christians and non-Christians thinking nothing of wishing each other "Merry Christmas" nowadays. Exchanging "Selamat Hari Raya" with non-Muslims has also become more common. Next Chinese New Year, I will wish non-Chinese a "Happy New Year" as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home