[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Monday, October 02, 2006

[One RC helping another]
Minister emailed me a little touching story just now. I shall call it a tale of two Residents' Committees.

But first let me introduce the two characters in the story. First one, uncle Carlinn. He is the Chairman of Bedok Reservoir-Punggol's Garden RC. Second, is uncle Woon, Chairman of another RC, Bedok Reservoir-Punggol Rise RC.

Reading the letter made me think about our grassroots leaders as a huge family helping one another. But most important, it is how we work together to serve residents. I guess all of the time residents benefit (I can't think of times where they don't).

Compliments for what we do are part and parcel of serving the community. Anyway, here's the touching story:

THANK YOU FOR WELFARE SUPPORT TOWARDS A NEEDY RESIDENT OF RISE RC

Dear Mr. Carlinn

I am greatly appreciative to you and your members of Garden RC for rendering the service of sourcing for a second-hand wheel chair for one of my handicap resident.

Last Sunday, 24th September 2006 at 7:30pm a resident of my precinct called to inform me regarding Mr. Abdul Kadir bin Mansor who had some difficulties, therefore on that same evening I went on a home visit to Mr Kadir's flat (Blk 708).

After the visit, I soon found out that Mr. Kadir had Chronic Rheumatoid Arthritis for many years, and is currently unemployed. He has two family members; his wife, who is working temporarily to support the family and his daughter, who is currently looking for a job. Without his wife and daughter's attendance at home, Mr Kadir was having difficulties moving around.

Hence, I tried to help him on his mobility by sourcing for a wheelchair for Mr. Kadir. Through a mass SMS, we managed to secure a second-hand wheelchair from Mr. Carlinn.

Mr. Kadir and family had also approached MPS for financial assistance, and I am now currently helping him and his family to
apply for the North East CDC financial assistance and MPS Home Care.

On behalf of my Welfare Sub Committee, Rise RC, thank you very much.

Best regards
Woon

If you'd wish to help out for our constituency events, or better still if you are a resident in Bedok Reservoir-Punggol constituency and would like to voulunteer your time and services, please email me at ephraim@singnet.com.sg for details on how you would like to contribute. You can also send me suggestions if you have an idea for a community project. I look forward to receiving your mail!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home