[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Saturday, December 23, 2006

[Dotting the Dragon]
1. The first anniversary dinner of the Teng Yang Dragon and Lion Dance Centre was a lively affair. The group was started by former dragon and lion dance members who are now in their 20's and 30's led by Mr Ng Meng Hwee . It is supported by a committee consisting mostly of businessmen, chaired by Mr Chen Wenxing. There are many young members, mostly teenagers, including a few girls.

2. Several new lions and three new dragons were dotted this evening. A black lion put on a stunning performance, the best that I've seen. One of the performers was the son of a committee member. As the father spoke about his son, he was so filled with emotion, he had tears in his eyes. It is heartwarming to see young Singaporeans keeping on the tradition alive. One person asked whether the tradition could die out. I told him that it would not. For as long as Chinese culture exists, dancing dragons and lions are part of the martial arts tradition. I pledged Punggol CC's support of the group's activites.



Read my review of the Singapore History Museum on Beyond SG

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the interesting post Minister. It is heartening to note that you are posting a lot more regularly nowadays, and on a wide spectrum of different activities and events. Thanks also for visiting the new National Museum of Singapore, which many of us are proud of.

On the subject of Lion Dancing, here is a post of a lion dance at my sister-in-law's place, which my son Ethan always raved about:

http://coolinsights.blogspot.com/2006/10/dancing-lion-pauls.html

Have a Merry Christmas with your loved ones!!

Sunday, December 24, 2006 12:35:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home