[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Monday, January 22, 2007

[Two museums]
I wanted to visit two museums close to school today since I had a 2 hour break in between class and meeting.

Recalling the free entry that SMU students have, I made my way to the Singapore Art Museum. But it was disappointing as I found out that it was only open to students of specific modules. Entry costs $2.50.

Since I wanted to make full use of the entry ticket, I decided to go another day when I have more time. I crossed over to the National Museum of Singapore instead.

Having been there a couple of times for the Singapore Biennale, I knew how to get around. Their marketing postcards are cool. You have to fill in the blanks for some.



The History Gallery that traces Singapore's past is a paid exhibit. So was the special exhibition at the galleries at the basement.

A wierd local sea creature lurks around. It's like a seal with a merlion's face.



There are four living galleries - Fashion, Film, Food and Photography.

It transports you to the past. The film gallery boasts three screens. Black and white still and moving images are projected. Three huge sofas in the room allow you to have a relaxing experience.

The food gallery is pretty interesting too. I liked the bottles and bottles of different colours with spices that you can sniff.



For the fashion gallery, be prepared to check out women's fashion from the 1950s to the 1970s. Glittery costumes greet you as you enter.



It's an experience for visitors to Singapore. Modern and sleek - it's a must to visit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for posting about the National Museum of Singapore. It is gratifying to note that SMU students like yourself are coming out of their campus to visit their neighbourhoods.

There is a blog on museums and heritage in Singapore at www.yesterday.sg which I encourage you and your readers to check out regularly. It contains regular posts on what's hot and happening in the heritage scene.

Monday, January 22, 2007 9:25:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home