[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Saturday, September 29, 2007

[What if]
In democracy class today some of us were discussing about what it would be like if there was no Lee Kuan Yew. Thoughts of the past flashed through my mind. Lee Kuan Yew in black and white pictures. Merdeka! Things would have been very different.

There was a discussion of Singapore's shared values. Confucianism and how it played a part in Singapore's attempt to democratise.

Then it occurred to me what if Singapore did not have The Straits Times? No state-controlled media. Chaos. Everyone turns to the Internet for information. Half truths and rumours spread. No one knows which is true and false.

Something that I imagine after reading Cherian George's paper on new media in Singapore Perspectives 2007.

For the past week I have been living without a lift. The direct lift in my block has been acting up for the past seven days. As of yesterday, it was nowhere near repair. Until today.

What if I never had a lift in my block?

I was reading Alvin's blog yesterday and chanced upon this intriguing video.



What if women had to do national service and guys didn't need to?

And I shall end today's with an artistic film.

Homecoming.



What if Singaporeans don't come home?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ephraim,
I am Bernard whom you met on the coffee talk with Minister Mr Yeo. I am studying now in USA. Hmm what if Singaporeans don't come home ? That's a good and difficult question that I will only be able to answer some time later, say in 1 to 2 years time. Over here in USA, there is more freedoms but people tend to be responsible for themselves and less reliant on the govt. freedom comes with responsibility. Democracy comes with a heavier price of personal lives being hurt physically or verbally or sued with lawsuits. It is certainly less safer than in Singapore.

Well, i don't know for now how I can handle it. I will take it one step at a time, wait and see whether the pastures are really greener on the other side. After all, our own forefathers left China and India for Singapore to seek a better life in the old days. Our current generation can do so with greater mobility with globalisation.

I think I will stay longer and broaden my horizons to see more of the world. As for coming back to Singapore, only time will tell. Personally, I want to train myself to be more independent. I see that government is taking the right steps in treating Singaporeans better than the foreigners in terms of healthcare subsidies - more for Singaporeans, less for foreigners. This should be the way cos we are the taxpayers. But More things needs to be done for education such as more educational opportunities for Singaporeans in first priority like a 4th university as proposed From what I can see now, the USA is more stricter in accepting foreigners i.e. foreign talent. You have to be really good to get accepted for top universities and jobs. But I understand that we have to lower some standards cos we have fewer resources and space to attract foreigners. Foreign talents are in high demand everywhere, they have the choice to go anywhere. So are talented Singaporeans too who have the skills and the choice to go elsewhere. Personally, I am not saying that I am talented for myself compared to others. Just that I work hard to get to where I am, coming so far now in my life. Nevertheless for me, I will never forget where I come from , my family and friends. That's gonna be the biggest thing for me that I will miss if I really leave Singapore for good. Maybe I should take my family away as well then to remove this emotional block as what some of my friends have in mind. I am still grateful to Singapore for bringing me up although I had it tough enough in my life and owe less obligations to Singapore society for tertiary educational subsidies etc (I have none, only 'O' Levels with 4 attempts and failed 'A' levels. But I made it through this far with perseverance, family support and friends' encouragement). Please send my regards to Minister Mr Yeo. Thanks

Sincerely,
Bernard

Monday, October 01, 2007 12:15:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Thanks for your comments Bernard. I will convey your well wishes to Minister when he comes back from New York.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 12:09:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I know that he is in NYC for the UN meeting. And I am in NY state too, in the western NY region. Here I notice that the Americans tend to be more outspoken to the point of gung-ho aggressiveness, generally on average compared to Singapore.
I don't know whether it is good or bad. I will take my time to observe and find it out. I am reading your blogs to catch up news about Singapore. Thanks to you and Mr Yeo !

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 6:57:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home