[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Friday, December 28, 2007

[The finale]
Today's post will be the last of my Thailand series. Some have said that I remained tight-lipped about my trip but I think I have shared quite a bit already.

One thing I realised was the traffic conditions in Thailand one day after I arrived. Throughout the day, cars stream up and down the streets. And pollution is really bad. Try spending one day on the streets in flip flops - well, you'd end up with black soles.



The next thing that struck me was the number of Starbucks outlets at the MBK area. Almost every major shopping centre has an outlet.



This particular one at Siam Square is a popular night hangout. The ambience is very romantic.

Apart from the Starbucks outlets, many new upmarket shopping malls have sprung up. These include Siam Paragon, Siam Centre and a whole lot of buildings at the Siam Square area. In 2005, these areas were still dull and dirty.



This big 'screen' at the Toyota showroom caught my attention. It is located opposite Hard Rock Cafe. You can see the many 'pixels' that form a big picture just like a gigantic plasma TV screen.



And since I started the post with transportation, let me end on that note.

It is easy to get around Bangkok in a taxi - just make sure the meter is ticking. It costs about THB50 to get to the Chinatown area from the Diamond City Hotel.

Alternative transport includes the BTS SkyTrain that has a network of stations leading to all major shopping areas. One can also take the train to the Patpong area where the night bazzar is located.



The usual trip to MBK from my hotel is THB20. Either that or it is a 10-minute walk.



To end off the happy 4-day adventure, here's a sunset photo taken from one of the BTS stations (I forgot which one though).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home