[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Friday, February 22, 2008

[Hurray!]
1. I was at the gym at 7pm when the Youth Olympics result was announced 'live' from Lausanne. For a few seconds, it seemed as if all activities stopped while everyone hanged on to the words being spoken. Then applause and good cheer all around. There must have been a sharp increase in the number of SMSes sent last night.

2. Singaporeans feel really good about this success. I am not sure why. Maybe it is the 7 months of anticipation for the result. Maybe it is a celebration of international recognition that a small country like ours can also make it big time even if only for a brief moment. To beat Moscow is something. Russia has power and influence which we cannot even begin to match.

3. Well, the hard work begins. We have to stay modest and deliver, making sure that the athletes, officials and visitors coming in 2010 will have a good, enjoyable experience. Each such experience bonds us together as a people. Watching what happened at the Padang yesterday, Singaporeans felt good being Singaporean. I can already imagine visuals of five stars entering five circles.



Do also read my post on Relations with Thailand on Beyond SG

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Minister Mr Yeo,
Bernard's here calling from NY USA. I met you in your talk at Hougang last year. I am now studying in USA as you might remember. I met many Americans and other nationalities as well.

When I mentioned that I am from Singapore, people generally seem to give more recognition for us although we are a small island. I am happy to report to you that we have achieved considerably more clout internationally, way above our weight. Not a easy feat indeed. Even though Singapore can never be a superpower due to many constraints, we are way better than many other bigger countries. One of my China friends, even said that he is interested in coming to Singapore for future career development - even interested in working for our govt-linked Corp like GIC or Temasek.

I surmise that this 'victory' over Russia goes to show that small countries can carry themselves way above their weight.

Sincerely,
Bernard

Saturday, February 23, 2008 1:59:00 am

 
Blogger George Yeo 杨荣文 said...

Glad to hear from you!

Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:44:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home