[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Saturday, February 16, 2008

[An affair]
I have lots to say today so bear with me. Still humming the tunes of this Chinese song - mei lan mei lan wo ai ni - that was sung at the Chinese New Year dinner just now. It was romantic.





It's been almost two full years at SMU. I am really happy to be in SMU. Really. Not because SMU is different but because I am different. However, that's only part of the reason.

When I could not get into a local university after applying for three years (twice during army and once after I completed NS), I thought it was going to be the end of me. After all, I am a double-diploma student but no one wanted me. I took a break from studies for a year and worked in a statutory board. I graduated with a Mechatronics diploma and a Mass Communications Advanced Diploma and ended up doing administrative work. It paid well and it was quite a breeze with not many challenges. But it was a good experience and exposure and I was allowed to use that as a platform to develop my talent for media.

Looking back, I feel that many events have shaped me as an individual and made me what I am today.

I love what I do in school - the fun part usually. From being part of the SMUBE Campus TV team and doing an episode for Valentine's Day. Then this year, I transferred to SMU Campus Radio to read news on Thursday evenings.

There were various opportunities to develop my passion for journalism. Vie, the school's magazine was a snazzy affair. I could not forget the times interviewing the Minister of State for Information, Communications and the Arts as well as the Minister for Health during their visits to SMU in the past year.

I also cherish the times and the future times that I will have being the head honcho of The Blue and Gold. It has been an unforgettable experience thus far.

Now that the polytechnic applications have closed and university applications are opening, I feel the most important in choosing your education path is to follow your passions. Or at least do something that is practical and develop your passions at the same time.

Being happy with what you do is important. It keeps you aiming higher to surpass the present, to look forward to the future. I am grateful for this opportunity to do what I like with my life. Consider this if you are at the crossroads now.

I'll be blogging about Valentine's Day tomorrow. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home