[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Sunday, February 17, 2008

[Reservoir Village Fish Release]
1. The five of us MPs of Aljunied GRC took part in a fish release ceremony at Bedok Reservoir last Saturday morning. It took place on the floating platform recently constructed by PUB. The weather was perfect with a light, cool breeze blowing. At the appointed hour and minute, we poured out the green carp from jars, big and small. This year, we encouraged maximum participation. For $8, you could get an Ikea glass jar with two fish. We raised some $15,000 for the Straits Times Pocket Money Fund. This is the second year we released fish into Bedok Reservoir which is becoming a 'happening place'. We'll make it an annual Lunar New Year tradition for Aljunied GRC.







2. I took the opportunity to unveil the new name for the shopping area nearby - Reservoir Village. It has a nice ring to it and will become a centre of attraction. In the past, the shops nearest the water ironically fetched the lowest rentals. That was because PUB did not want to many activities at the reservoir. With membrane technology, PUB is much more confident that we can have our water and drink it too. In the future, the locations nearest the lake will be the most prime. In April, work to upgrade Reservoir Village will begin. We'll open up vistas to the water so that those who go there to shop or eat will naturally be drawn to the water.



3. The reservoir will become more and more a hub of community life. We must cherish it, ensure water safety, keep the park clean and secure. This will also enhance the value of the nearby flats and condos.

Do also read my posts on Beyond SG

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just after you mentioned that the "base is low" you pointed out that many American bombs fell on Laos during the Vietnam War. I hope you aren't insinuating that Americans are responsible for the poverty, corruption, and rampant human rights abuses that currently characterize Laos. After the Pathet Lao overthrew the government with Soviet and North Vietnamese support in 1975, the country became a communist dictatorship. As you're well aware, communism spells disaster for economic development and human rights. The Americans were not bombing Laos during the War, they were bombing North Vietnamese positions within Laos. Had the North Vietnamese been defeated, both Vietnam and Laos would be much better off today than they are. I hope Singapore's "training" of Laos officials includes the importance of human rights. Not that Singapore really has all that good of a record either.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:04:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

12 Jun

One regular customer gave me a hug and cried when I announced today that I will be closing my cafe that is located nearest the reservoir. My accumulated heap of disappointment has become too much to bear. This affects the lives of 4 staff.

It seems the Reservoir Village concept has been intepreted by planners differently from what I thought you intent it to be. I gave feedback to you last month but ... It is probably a case when you really must walk the ground spontanenously unannounced and sit with residents and shopkeeper like me to talk.

Please find out why the customer cried.

I extend my invitation to you for Nasi Padang lunch at my cafe. The last day of my business is 29Jun08.

Leong CC, 9111-7007

Friday, June 13, 2008 5:42:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home