[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Sunday, March 30, 2008

[Flea Market at Block 522, Hougang Ave 8]
1. Each lot was let out at $6. The flea market at Blk 522 last Saturday was an interesting new activity organised by the RC. There were many stalls selling a range of bric-a-brac. Some were old stuff which could be recycled; others were pasar malam-type items which were either home-made or came from relatives and friends. No food items were allowed.

2. I chatted with the sellers. For some, it was a family affair. Not all the kids were helping their parents. Some played handheld games. One young boy sat slumped back on a comfortable chair surveying proceedings. There was a steady stream of visitors. One Malay couple from Sengkang noticed the flea market while riding on a motorbike along the main road and decided to look-see look-see. They ended up buying a beautiful pair of bookends with globes. Two young teenage boys had a pile of old or old-looking jeans for sale. They assured me that they were old unused jeans, not second-hand ones. I would not have been able to tell the difference.

3. Kenny Reyes, the RC Chairman, told me the flea market was an experiment. Well, it was certainly a successful experiment. It added life to the neighbourhood and got residents to know one another better. For the sellers, who were all residents, it was a plesant way to spend the day.



Do also read my posts on Beyond SG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home