[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Friday, May 02, 2008

[Winners, losers and cheap talk]
A long delayed post because I did not have the lovely photos until a few days back. And I also wanted things to die down first.

On Wednesday night, the Bedok Reservoir-Punggol dragonboat team celebrated our win with a nine-course vegetarian meal. I was quite busy singing during the dinner so I didn't get to fully savour everything except for what was allocated to me when I was away.

I'll transport myself back to the race day for a recap.

Some things that I have learnt - there should be complementary elements to get the desired result. And things that you have done before, can be done again even though some elements are different or missing. It's the determination that counts. Lastly, external conflicts and decisions that impact on the immediate internal members forces the bonds to get stronger to unite against the common enemy (I'm sure the bond between PM Lee and DPM Wong are now stronger after the escape of Mas Selamat).



The training (almost one-and-a-half month of hard work) has paid off. But the only thing is that I will never understand how the feeling of uniting to row against a common enemy is like. I was the Team Manager and had to give up some sacrifices for my team mates to row - well, we field only the best.



But I felt the pressure as I was part of the team though I did not row. Talk, like the common phrase, is cheap. One would never understand the circumstances another person is in until they come in and fit into our shoes. As long as one knows what one is doing is right nothing else matters. It all boils down to your personal perspectives. A good leader is one that has foresight, able to make the right judgement in difficult scenarios, able to handle a variety of people and to eventually reach the desired outcomes - the means and ends are equally important.

But one thing for sure - you can't control another person's mouth. Well the mouth belongs to others. Talk without actions just makes the empty vessel noisier. Actions speak louder than words.



Deliverence.

A gold win but a loss somewhere else. Only people close would know what I mean. So they say, a win is still a win. A gold medal is still a gold medal.

But the lessons learnt? Priceless.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ephraim,
Bernard's here - busy with my last exams till May 10. Sorry about it. Hmm, another thing I actually want to ask you but forgot about it bcos you left and I gotta talk with my fellow members. When I first met you at Hougang Mall, I long heard that you are a avid dragonboater. In all honesty, I was quite surprised that you are pretty thin for a dragonboater. I thought that all dragonboaters are pretty brawny. Hmm you never go for protein shake etc to boost your muscles ??? just curiousity cos I am also interested in ways to improve my physical fitness and endurance in another part of my life's interests. So what is your fitness regime like ? You do other stuff as well or just dragonboating ?

Regards,
Bernard

Saturday, May 03, 2008 10:36:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Not bad. You are well informed. Actually I've been dragonboating since 2006. Had raced many different times before but just for leisure. I am glad to have met good friends from dragonboating. It is fun. As for my size, I am pretty small sized but I guess the skill in dragonboating is in the coordination.

Saturday, May 03, 2008 11:16:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home