[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Friday, June 27, 2008

[Dialogue with Residents at Blks 467-468 Hougang Ave 8]
1. The weather was kind on Thursday evening when I visited flats at Blk 468 and held a dialogue with residents living in the area at the void deck of Blk 467. A light cool breeze blew continuously making it a pleasant evening.



2. Many were pleased with the CCTV cameras installed in the lifts enabling what goes on inside to be viewed at the groundfloor landing outside. This should help stop the urination problem. I assured some residents that the sunshades for the west-facing windows would soon be replaced.

3. Cost of living, especially the electricity price, was a major concern. I explained government's policy of helping less well-off families through U-Save rather than subsidising electricity rates which would only encourage greater consumption.

4. At the dialogue session, the hot topic was surprisingly education, partly because there were a few articulate residents who were from the educational field. We talked about the pressures on our students and the lack of emphasis on moral education. Someone asked whether it would be possible to replace the wet market in Hougang. I replied that we are building a two-storey block next to Hougang Mall which would sell both fresh produce and hawker fare.





Do also read my posts on Beyond SG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home