[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

[Grassroots]
1. Last Saturday, I gave out certificates of appointment to grassroots leaders serving on various committees for two-year terms. I was surprised at the hundreds of certificates I had to sign. So many volunteers beaver away, often unrecognised.

2. Unlike many countries, grassroots leaders in Singapore do not enjoy financial reward. All they get from me is a New Year card and an occasional meal. Many are out of pocket. I remember hosting a visit from the minister of an Asian country at my Meet the People Session about three years ago. He and his staff could not believe that my helpers were not paid. Separately, the same question was asked of many who were present.

3. Our grassroots leaders play a big role holding our society together. At critical moments, like during SARS, they reach out to every segment, keeping people informed and problems under control. Our old CCC Chairman Teo Juay Kiang still keeps the CCC peace card issued during the racial riots in 1964.

4. During the presentation ceremony, I stressed the importance of bringing in younger volunteers especially those in the 20's and 30's. Every generation has its own hopes and fears which we must try to address. It is not always possible for older residents to understand younger ones, and vice versa. It is also important for our grassroots leaders to work with those who are not in the 'official' grassroots organisations. There are many NGOs doing good work in our constituency, including temple, mosque and church groups. We should work with them and help them where we can. After all, we share a common objective in helping our residents especially those in need.




Bedok Shops Sub Committee


Building Fund Committee


Citizens' Consultative Committee


Civil Defence Executive Committee


Community Club Management Committee


Constituency Sports Club


Crest Residents' Committee


Education Fund Committee


Harmony Residents' Committee


Heights Residents' Committee


Hougang Shops Sub Committee


Indian Activity Executive Committee


Malay Activity Executive Committee


Rise Residents' Committee


Senior Citizens' Executive Committee


Tropica Neighbourhood Committee


Vale Residents' Committee


Women's Executive Committee


Youth Executive Committee

Do also read my posts on Beyond SG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home