[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Sunday, June 15, 2008

[GRC Dragonboat Event]
1. Sunday's dragonboat event at Bedok Reservoir opens a new chaper in our GRC. With the new boathouse and five beautiful dragonboats, we are now in business. Paya Lebar outclassed the other divisions this year. It was well-deserved with all the training they put in. Aljunied-Hougang wasn't far behind. My own team from Bedok Reservoir-Punggol put in a valiant effort but showed a lack of coordination. Well, we'll just have to put in more work next year. Happily, the weather was perfect and the spirit was excellent.





2. Two years ago, all five MPs of Aljunied GRC enjoyed our first experience at paddling and decided to make dragonboating part of our programme of activities in the constituency. We hope that every RC will eventually have its own team and inter-RC and inter-divisional competitions will be regularly organised. Dragonboating creates a strong sense of bonding because everyone has to row together in unison. Cynthia Lee and Tan Bee Lan led the GRC effort to build the physical facilities. Now that we have the hardware, it is time to build up the software.



3. The new boathouse is airy and functional. TP students did a good job designing it. We encourage the students to make use of the boathouse and the boats. The TP community can help bring life and activity to the reservoir. We also launched the dragonboats officially by dotting the eyes, one of each division. I thank our many benefactors and grassroots leaders for the funds raised.





4. We also launched Old Chang Kee's curry puff van which the company is using to sponsor events organised by grassroots organisations. We are delighted that Old Chang Kee has decided to start with Aljunied GRC. It was the first time I attended an event where delicious pregnant-looking curry puffs were freely available, as many as you can eat.



Do also read my posts on Beyond SG

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave my comment on Reservoir Village a few days ago. I probably put it at the wrong place. I reproduce it here:

"
12 Jun

One regular customer gave me a hug and cried when I announced today that I will be closing my cafe that is located nearest the reservoir. My accumulated heap of disappointment has become too much to bear. This affects the lives of 4 staff.

It seems the Reservoir Village concept has been intepreted by planners differently from what I thought you intent it to be. I gave feedback to you last month but ... It is probably a case when you really must walk the ground spontanenously unannounced and sit with residents and shopkeeper like me to talk.

Please find out why the customer cried.

I extend my invitation to you for Nasi Padang lunch at my cafe. The last day of my business is 29Jun08.

Leong CC, 9111-7007
"

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:02:00 pm

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Hi leong cc, yes we hear you. Thanks for your feedback.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:25:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home