[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Sunday, June 15, 2008

[National Youth EnvirOlympics Challenge]
1. Over three days, more than a thousand students wearing eye-catching lime-green T shirts raised high a touch as they ran a relay all over Singapore to remind us of the importance of living in harmony with nature. Over 40 schools and JCs took part. The event was organised by the Youth Executive Committee of Ci Yuan CC supported by PA Youth Movement, the CCC, NE CDC, the National Environmental Agency and others. I was asked to carry the torch for the last stretch which was a short distance from Punggol CC to Hougang Mall.





2. I was very impressed by the organisation. Ong Chee Siang, who led the effort, told me that the organisers slept very little over the three days to make sure that everything was in order.





3. Caring for the environment is one cause where younger Singaporeans will have to play the leading role. It requires a change of attitudes and habits. The call to 'reduce, recycle and re-use' has to be internalised in everyone. And this is a cause which cannot be confined to Singapore alone. All citizens of Planet Earth have to play their part. If we don't act together, our future will be harmed. Climate change, for example, may not affect adults living today but it will certainy affect their children and grandchildren.

4. Governments have to show greater responsiblity for the environment and we urgently need a new international agreement to replace the Kyoto Accord which will expire in 2012. For there to be a deal, there has to be a fair sharing of the burden and a regard for the developmental needs of poorer countries.

Do also read my posts on Beyond SG

4 Comments:

Blogger Kenny Tan said...

Yo Ephraim, I just chanced upon your blog. From your posts, I can tell that you really have a heart for the community-at-large. Good for you!

What are your plans for this summer?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:42:00 am

 
Blogger Benedict said...

Well, I don't know who you are.. but I need to say something.

The above intention, though good in nature, didn't really do much as it did not raise much awareness to the problem in Singapore. I myself didn't even know of such an event. If the above event was publicised, Singapore might never be the same again..

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:49:00 pm

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Hi Kenny,

Were you reading Minister's posts instead? LOL.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:17:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Dear panter92, maybe the publicity channels were not right. Do you have any suggestions?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:21:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home