[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Friday, August 08, 2008

[Happy National Day!]
I've just celebrated Singapore's 43rd National Day at MFA this morning. It was a hectic year but we have reasons to be grateful. For big and small things, Singapore is now a significant provider of aid and assistance to other countries. We do a lot behind the scene to build a stronger ASEAN and a more peaceful Asia.





On National Day morning itself, I'll join residents at Bedok Reservoir for flag raising and a nasi lemak breakfast. This has become a little tradition for us.

Even though threatening clouds are gathering on the horizon, we have much to celebrate. I can never forget a side conversation with the Foreign Minister of Sierra Leone at the Commonwealth Meeting in Malta almost three years ago. He pointed out to me that in the early 60's, Sierra Leone and Singapore had the same per capita income! Stunned for a moment, I asked: What happened? Many in Africa are now studying the Singapore model to our surprise.

The last song we sang at MFA was Dick Lee's Home, which is my favourite.

"Whenever I am feeling low
I look around me and I know
There's a place that will stay within me
Wherever I may choose to go
...
This is home truly, where I know I must be
Where my dreams wait for me, where the river always flows
This is home surely, as my senses tell me
This is where I won't be alone, for this is where I know it's home."

Happy National Day!





Do also read my posts on Beyond SG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home