[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Sunday, August 17, 2008

[Lessons from a wheelchair]
I was wheelchair bound for 400 meters.

It was quite some time back when I tried this. Last year, I wanted to race with my junior, Ephraim, who is wheelchair bound during an event called Trilympics.

With the Olympics going on, it is good to talk about fighting spirit, teamwork and national pride - all of which are the core values of Team Singapore.

Looking at how the wheelchair bound manoeuvre their rolling machines, I thought I could do the same. Well, not until I really tried it. The first time, I had to learn to get the method right but this is made more tough as I have sweaty palms.

Then, when you have got the method correct, you try for speed. And that is where the problem lies. The faster you go, the more abrasion. Abrasion then leads to blisters.

For a normal person to feel like this is already very painful yet alone someone who is disabled. You can really feel their drive to push on, to live and to succeed.

These few months, I have been reflecting and I realise that whatever one does, it is important to lead a healthy life and stay healthy. Cost of medication is high when you are sick. Then, there are the many check-ups that one has to undertake. So the best is to eat well, rest well, study hard and play hard.

It is all about balance. And that is something I will attempt to find in my life - the balance between school work and CCA, the balance between community service and meeting friends. Well, I must learn to treasure all that I have.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fong Yoong Kheong said...

I once accompanied a wheelchair bound friend travelling from one place to another.

I think Singaporeans still need to be more gracious in not giving those awkward glances and be more understanding when the wheelchairs take up some space in public transport.

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:27:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

travelling in wheel chair always not easy, especially for the elders and sick.

Hope the route for the daisable will improve...

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:57:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Both of you have just hit on an important point. I shall blog about that in an upcoming post.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:05:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home