[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

[Mysterious South Beach]
As the leaves fall and the old coat of paint is scrapped from the walls of South Beach Development, one of the sites of the Singapore Biennale 2008 located along Beach Road, a different feeling erupts.





I recall the early days of my internship where I roamed the dark site. It seemed dark and spooky and uninhabited. Now, we can see this historic building in a new light.

Built in the 1930s, the significant uniqueness is in its architecture. The three Art Deco Style blocks - blocks 1, 9 and 14 - that has a glorious past have been reinstated as part of the Biennale.



There's the Drill Hall, which is being retouched for French artist Felice Varini, who will be doing up an anamorphic work. It will be an adventure of discovery for visitors (I won't say too much yet).



The one thing that runs throughout the site, which strikes me the most, are the arches. It is somewhat like my alma mater - St. Andrew's School.



A slab of memorial inscription adorns the entrance paying tribute to the Singapore Volunteer Corps. Accompanying it are the intricate designs.



I made an attempt to juxtapose the old building (one that has been there for at least 80 years) with the portable toilet (that may very well just be there for just over 80 days).



Social commentary? Perhaps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home