[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Friday, September 19, 2008

[Invasion of beings from another world]
Aliens have invaded Singapore and City Hall is under siege. They made their appearance at level 4 of City Hall building.



These aliens are kindof religious. Multi-religious if I may add. But they are, unfortunately, not real. They are part of Filipino artist Leeroy New's work for Singapore Biennale 2008. He is the youngest artist to be exhibiting this time.



I was involved in observing the curatorial process of this work and I am pretty impressed with the works. His other alien sculptures are more subtle - sculptures that are not so religious. Like super big versions of ultraman in a different form. Maybe it reflects the kid in him.

One thing that I cannot comprehend is Ong Sor Fern's take on beauty in art. I will only consider beauty if I am paying for the artwork. Leeroy New's work titled "Tetratoma II: War of the Worlds" impresses me. The site was specially selected to create the impression that aliens have invaded the building. Clearly, this site-specific installation juxtaposes the aliens with the dish atop the New Supreme Court. It sends a hilarious message about the Supreme Court building's architecture when you blend the aliens into the picture - how can Singapore's highest court be invaded by aliens? And maybe it is something that the Supreme Court is not protected from. But do aliens exist?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you assess the alien to be multi-religious?

Saturday, September 20, 2008 1:46:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Oh. Look at the hands of the aliens.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 10:28:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh okay. Cool!

Saturday, September 20, 2008 11:23:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home