[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Friday, September 05, 2008

[Getting ready for the big show]
It is almost less than a week before the opening of Singapore Biennale 2008 and I am excited. Really.

Firstly, the Containart Pavilion is pretty awesome. Remember that empty piece of land that used to be the Central Promontory Site? Now, you can see Shigeru Ban's work in its full glory - the cardboard pillars at the facade are up when I visited yesterday.



And the whole thing looks very nice from the top - as usual but even more so now.





But do not judge the inside from the outside because the inside is way better. I like Ilya and Emilia Kabakov's work, The Manas. It is a made-believe city that is materialised using wood.

If you take a peek from the outside, this is what you see.



Along the actual structure are individual elements of the city that are displayed one by one.



Hans Op de Beeck's Location (6), a snowscape sculpture was under construction when I visited. They were still adding the snow to the piece.





I did not expect it to be such a low-level installation - you have to sit down in order to fully appreciate the view.



Filipino artists, the Aquilizan's, have been spending their time on this work title Flight. Each bamboo stick which is four metres tall, has a slipper pinned at the top. Walking through the entire work is surreal as it overlooks Marina Bay.



Couple that experience with a sunset view. Romantic.



The Containart Pavilion by Japanese artist Shigeru Ban, is part one of the locations for Singapore Biennale@Marina Bay. Admission to this site is free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home