[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

[When I Grow Up - Primary]
I spent almost the whole afternoon going through the entries from Primary School children in the First George Yeo Blogging Competition. There were a total of 180 entries and it was interesting to read all of them. I think it will be difficult to decide who eventually wins.

Here are some quotes that I felt were interesting out of all the entries.

There will be more and longer trains that go everywhere in Singapore. The rides will be free as the government will pay for it (provided the government can afford it).
Lee Jit Ping, Clementi Primary School

People always say “children are our future.” We are so important and so pressurized. But have they ever thought whether we can take it or not? One day, when I grow up, I want the children not to worry if their acadamic (sic) score is as expected, or if they are in branded schools. Their study program will be carefully designed to suit everyones’ (sic) need and ability.
Wang Yuting

In the future, I would like to behold the fact that the Moon, no, even planets like Venus or Mars will be made habitable, solving problem current and future problem of over-population.
Bryan Lee Guang Zhe, Jurong Primary School

There should also a homework limit, the teacher can only give the students two pieces of homework per day. However, the homework the teacher gives cannot be an essay.
Delphina Yu Lin Nordlund, Blangah Rise Primary School

Singapore is still a clean and green country. There will be no schools but students need to study at home using the computer. There will be no more maids, robots helping in our daily chores. The policemen will have an easy time catching the criminals as their police vehicles will be fitted with special gadgets. Transport will be flying cars, helicopter. Fashion will be different.
Tan Tammie, Blangah Rise Primary School

The pupils may go for a field trip each month, which means the pupils will go for nine field trips in a year. I would really love that!
Wai Zi Ying, Blangah Rise Primary School

I also hope that the police will capture the JI, Mas Selemat (sic), on the run soon for the safety of all the citizens.
Lee Yan Yi, Clementi Primary School

I do hope one day Singapore will be able to be the host of the Olympics games even though we will be hosting the Youth Olympics games.
Chng Yuqian, Gan Eng Seng Primary School

In the schools, there are countless bullies. According to investigations, more than half the schools in Singapore have bullies whose number counts up to 15.
Bryan Kng Tian Wen, Gan Eng Seng Primary School

I would also like citizens in Singapore to be more polite to the elderly. According to The New Paper of Thursday, August 8, 2008, and (sic) elderly Singaporean was mocked was saying please. “One coffee, please.”
Tan Hui Yi, Chua Chu Kang Primary School

When I grow up, people will be blogging, engaging one another, organising themselves online, and doing politics online. They will be using Facebook technology to link up, mobilise and organise supporters all over the country.
Abidah Woon

Finally, I wish Singapore will build more theme park liked (sic) the famous Disney Land. Therefore, all Singaporean will enjoy staying in this country not only for work but for funs (sic) as well.
Khor Huan Ni, Jurong Primary School

Although I am lazy and want Singapore to be a country full of technology, I still think that that is a ridiculous and not such a good dream anyway. I know that it would be very convenient whereby you press a button and the robot will do the thing (sic) that you want! To me, this is not healthy for us. At this rate, we would be exercising our fingers only which I don’t want. I don’t want to have no backbone and become a good–for–nothing in a sense that I have to depend on the robots.
Sebastian Koh, Gan Eng Seng Primary School

Children will stop thinking about their computer games and spent (sic) time with their loved ones. They will strive to be fit and strong both
physically and mentally, ready to face the many challenges in life.
Kieren Chua, Gan Eng Seng Primary School

As for the military side of Singapore, our small country will be able to chase invaders away due to the high technology equipment and defence systems. For example a global satellite radar that cannot be hacked into, laser guns, laser swords, force fields and impenetrable armour.
Nicholas Foo Chuan Le, Gan Eng Seng Primary School

As for now, I like the Singapore I’m living in.
Andrea Chiow, Gan Eng Seng Primary School

Many have asked me,” What does Singapore mean to you?” I would usually keep quiet and shrug my shoulders. But over the years of learning social studies in school, I finally achieved my answer.
Muhammad Nur Fadzilah, Clementi Primary School

When I grow up, I would like to see a good president and a trusted prime minister in the government leading the country with good, trusting citizens behind them, as such character in a person will definitely lead Singapore toward success and achieve world recognition.
Simon Huang, Clementi Primary School

I hope the Goods and Service Tax (GST) will not increase but decrease. Some citizens complain about the rising price of rice , oil and many other things but their salary did not rise.
Tang Yu Kuan, Clementi Primary School

When I grow up, I will be studying in Secondary School. There will be eight subjects so the books are getting more and more, schoolbags are heavier and heavier. We need to carry the heavy schoolbags and walk up the stairs arduously. So I hope that every school will install escalators instead of stairs for us.
Liang Yancheng, Clementi Primary School

In Singapore, there is a lack of oxygen, so I would want a shirt that can take in carbon dioxide and convert into oxygen to let us breathe, than (sic), the global warming will not affect the rate of the rate of oxygen.
Royston Koh Chun Chuan, Park View Primary School

I also wish to see companies giving ex-offenders a second chance to get them back working and earning money for their families. Companies reject them for making a mistake in their life but no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes so why not give them a second chance when many people have given it to us. They share the same fate as us; study, work, and earn money for their family for three meals.
Yeo Jie Han, Clementi Primary School

I wish Singapore will (sic) not sell any cigarettes any more. People will say what a hygienic place to live in. Everywhere I go, I see people smoking. It harms my life, others’ life and the smoker’s life.
Diya Srikanth, Clementi Primary School

National Day Parades will become more environmentally friendly. I know everyone loves fireworks but they are a major cause of air pollution. I believe in the future fireworks will become smoke free as well.
Chester How Yu Hin, Clementi Primary School

I want to see lesser people playing computers, PSP (play station portable), play stations and other more. If they keep playing all those, they might get addictive and land up in the mental hospital one day. They should never ever waste time on things like these, but focus on their studies and work. However, they can still play them occasionally, but, they must not play them for too long. They might spoil their eyesight too.
Kwa Fang Yin, Clementi Primary School

The government should also build more libraries more books, as books can improve one’s English. There is, however, one problem. Some children do not like to read books, so the libraries should have books that can interest the children who do not like to read books.
Nowel, Clementi Primary School

Animals cannot be restricted from being free and having fun. Of course, pet owners should have the responsibility to pick up their dogs’ excrements even in those places.
Siviana Sivam, Clementi Primary School

I would also want more and more people to help the needy people. They are very unfortunate and could really need some help. Everyone is the same. Whether they are poor, cripple and are disadvantaged, in one way or another they are still the same as us. So do not be unfair to them. If you are poor or crippled, what would it feel like? Would you want people to help you? If your answer is yes, start helping the needy people.
Muhammad Hafiz Bin Mohd Aziz, Clementi Primary School

I would like community centres to organise events for residents of different races and religion to get together and maybe community centres can be more pro-active to invite people to teach us the different cultures and etiquette. We will understand our friends of different races better that way.
Ng Chian Yee, Clementi Primary School

I wish I would win the iPod nano as I do not have my own MP3 player.
Melvin Oh, First Toa Payoh Primary School

I wish Singaporeans will be more vibrant and stop having glum faces when thinking of school and work anymore.
Wong Guo Xuan, Xinghua Primary School.

Name tags will be given to everyone and it is compulsory to wear it everyday.
Ooi Min Hui, Pei Hwa Presbyterian Primary School

When I grow up, I would like to see lesser criminals and accident in Singapore. One example is Mas Selamat from the JI network, why can’t we do what Stamford Raffles did in the past. He made all the criminals in the past to become useful citizens in Singapore.
Daniel, Blangah Rise Primary School

I want to see Singaporeans celebrating festivals happily in harmony. It will be great to see Indians visiting Chinese families during Chnese New Year, Chinese visiting Malays families so on and so forth.
Nur Diyana Bte Azmi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home