[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Saturday, December 13, 2008

[PAP's online presence developing]
We are slowly getting there in terms of new media engagement. In 2006, I remember being a panellist for Campus on 938 LIVE a live radio talk show. During the edition that I was part of, we had youths from my alma mater Singapore Polytechnic participate in a discussion on the topic "Mainstream Media Vs New Media - Who Will Win the Battle for the Young?". That was probably my very first foray into providing my thoughts on blogging. Well, the verdict at the end of the show was that mainstream media would compliment new media.

For last week's Straits Times YouthINK article on new media engagement I decided to do a small experiment. We were supposed to write about YouTube videos and the PAP website as well as engagement in general. So I went to YouTube and did a search on videos on names of ministers in the cabinet and opposition MPs.



It was an interesting find. Most videos of the Lee Family were satirical. But this simple experiment illustrates online presence.

I hope the government adopts the recommendations of the Advisory Council on the Impact of New Media on Society with regard to political films. Hopefully it will be favourable for all parties - let's give everyone equal standing (one of the PAP's four values are fairness).

I also did a Facebook experiment. More in the next perhaps.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Just thinking aloud. You think otherwise?

Monday, December 15, 2008 12:28:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home