[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Sunday, January 11, 2009

[Frozen Angels]
I went to watch Frozen Angels last night at the National Museum and I must say it was awesome. At the dialogue after the 60 minute theatre play, director Alvin Tan had called in an "inter-media" performance rather than a "multi-media" one. Indeed it was.

Instead of human-to-human interaction, there was human-to-video interaction. A huge screen provided the backdrop of the various stories. I enjoyed and paid special attention to what was on the screen.

The broad theme was about stem cell research and technology as how humans would respond. It also had narratives about relationships - parent and child and couples.

It was awesome because of how the stories were interspersed. There were three stories in all and the scenes are all mixed up. It reminded me of Sherman Ong's film at the Singapore Biennale last year titled Flooding in times of Drought.

The two actors had played at least three roles each in 60 minutes! It presented various ways in which humans can deal with technology of stem cell research - cloning and living longer. But, there was also the other side that it showed. The last story showed the lack of using technology which ended up with a death.

To me, the stories symbolise three aspects - birth, death and technology. And it will be good material when my Post-Modern Theatre class does our final class play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home