[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Thursday, January 22, 2009

[Social commentary about love]
This week, my theatre class examined Kuo Pao Kun's play The Coffin is Too Big for the Hole. It is a social commentary about Singapore. And this leads to what I am blogging about today.

If Kuo Pao Kun is the doyen of Singapore theatre, then Jack Neo can be his equivalent in movies.

At the gala premiere of his latest movie Love Matters on Tuesday night, I was humbled to meet him in person. While I did not speak to him (I used to be in awe of celebrities but not anymore after meeting and interviewing many), he appeared sincere alongside the main cast of the show Henry Thia and Yeo Yann Yann.

The entire film was shot in Malaysia (perhaps due to lower costs) and what I laughed out loud to most was the Malaysia-Mandarin accent that Yeo Yann Yann had adopted for her character. It seemed like acting to me. And it was natural.

Jack Neo's adaptation of several daily woes in real life to reel life is commendable. There is a lot of fun in laughing about oneself. Although I have not experienced some of what was narrated, I could identify with several.

One lesson throughout the entire movie was about doing things at the spur of the moment. I must say that it drove home the message about thinking carefully before doing anything. Because, most of the time in the movie, rash decisions ended up having unthinkable consequences.

After talking through the lessons, it is also important to discuss the main theme - love. The title is apt because love really matters.

It is not about how you love or who you love, but after a long relationship love tends to fade. The issue here is about assurance of love. You have to say you love and make your loved ones feel loved.

There is also frivolous love. The playboy kind of love. And if you are that sort, this movie could make you change.

The final one is on experimenting with love. Don't go in too fast when you fall in love because sometimes it can be deadly. You'll never know what forces are behind that love. It could just be a game of manipulation.

It isn't easy to grapple with the truths about love. But love is part and parcel of life. Love matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home