[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

[One way to solve the low take up rate for ComCare]
I was reading the newspapers on the funds available for ComCare that are widely available and a particular incident came to my mind.

Last year, when the economy started to dive deep, I witnessed a woman in perhaps her mid-50s pushing a cart around my neigbourhood selling dried foodstuff. At first she seemed to be an honest seller of foodstuff urging me to buy a packet to try. Then as I probed further, it seemed that she's the sole breadwinner of the family. Moreover, she told me that she had many children to support.

Then came the all important thought. I was wondering, since she had hardship coping with family expenses and all, I wondered why she didn't seek help.

So I asked: "Auntie, do you know about the various schemes available for low or no income families?" I think she showed some knowledge.

I probed further: "Then have you tried approaching them at Meet-the-People's Session (MPS)? They can help you know."

Then she muttered something about not wanting them to help. That puzzled me further.

MPs have were quick to point out in that families should seek help if they need help. But in this case that I have cited, there's something that's stopping them. So to take this argument a step further, it would be good for friends and neighbours to spot signs of trouble.

If you think or have obvious reasons to confirm that your neighbour or someone in your block has a case of hardship, why not encourage them and tell them that help is at hand. If it was me, I would ask them to go for MPS. Or I may even take them there personally if need be.

in times of hardship, we've got to keep our eyes and ears open and spot such signs. I know some grassroots leaders are doing this. We can pitch in too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is good to know that you managed to see one such incident of what is on the ground.

Like I say,with a Government that really care for the people,that is more important than putting up a show.

To the aunty,this whole thing is a show..she probably don't trust this govt. In fact,in her heart,maybe she was more concerned about whether you will report her to NEA to come down and catch her or not.

Many years ago,people with big families of 10 kids or more have to resort to doing the same thing to alleviate the family's needs.

Today,if they want to do so legally, rental costs,licensing fees plus their lack of knowledge make it very difficult for these people to survive..esp in this downturn. These are the people the govt shd really be looking at in the planned Budget instead of JCS which helps businesses that are profitable.

Who are the biggest business owners in Singapore with the majority of its employees within the $2500 bracket?..Its not Sheng Shiong..The biggest was not mentioned at all for very obvious reasons.

Its really gd to know that u have a kind heart..I really hope you can be of help to these people one day.

Thursday, February 05, 2009 4:19:00 am

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

In times of recession, inequality will get worse, which means to say the gap between the rich and the poor will widen. It is important that there are sufficient measures to deal with this. So far, it looks as though more measures are being put in as seen in the Budget. I've been following the debates in Parliament and many good ideas to help Singaporeans have been raised.

Thursday, February 05, 2009 3:23:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ephraim,
the widening gap is evident across the world and the poor is suffering everywhere.
But that is not my piority..my top one would be to my own country Singapore.
What i read today make it seems like there was only one respectable figure in parliament that day. I guess he is the only one touching the people's souls.

Thursday, February 05, 2009 3:32:00 pm

 
Blogger Ephraim Loy 黎传志 said...

Hmmm. And who is that may I ask?

Thursday, February 05, 2009 5:04:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home