[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Thursday, February 05, 2009

[What bloggers really hate]
The one thing that most bloggers hate to get in their mailboxes is PR talk. This is one of the many things that I've learnt from the book The Art and Science of Blogger Relations. Any corporate communications officer or manager should read this book by Brian Solis before trying to spam bloggers to get event or product coverage.

I have not encountered so much of that yet but if you are the Editor-in-Chief of a publication, you get that. I used to get a lot of that before during my tenure as Editor-in-Chief of SMU's campus paper. But Chris Anderson had it way bad. He wrote in a post that he receives 300 emails day of story pitches.

So here's what he wrote: "Fact: I am an actual person, not a team assigned to read press releases and distribute them to the right editors and writers...So fair warning: I only want two kinds of email: those from people I know, and those from people who have taken the time to find out what I'm interested in and composed a note meant to appeal to that (I love those emails; indeed, that's why my email address is public)."

He goes on to "out" those people who have violated his rules by posting their email addresses on his blog. And the next thing you know, those people whose email addresses he has posted get spammed back likely due to the bots that pick out email accounts.

So much for a taste of your own medicine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home