[About this blog] Inspired by local soccer player Mike Lim during my rookie reporter days at Singapore Polytechnic, I set up this blog in August 2002. I feel that blogging is a novel platform to document interesting facets of my life and my thoughts on certain issues. [Email blogger] ephraim@singnet.com.sg

Monday, March 30, 2009

[Cambridge 800th Anniversary]
After delivering my lecture, I met members of the Cambridge University Malaysia Singapore Association (CUMSA) over tea. Many moons ago, I was the Secretary, then President of CUMSA. The following morning, some of the students joined me for breakfast and accompanied me on a short tour of the colleges. We had wanted to go punting on the river but it was raining and windy. I enjoyed talking to them. Quite a few were interested in what life was like when I was a student there in the 70's.

The Pro Vice Chancellor Dr Kate Pretty hosted me and my wife to dinner at her own college, Homerton, which I had never visited before. At the lunch hosted by the Master of Christ College Dr Frank Kelly, I was glad to meet the former Master Dr Alan Munro and my old tutor, Dr V Navaratnam. After lunch, the Master showed me Darwin's old room, the exhibition of Darwin in the college library and the new statue of Darwin as a young student sitting on a college bench at New Court. This year is Darwin's 200th birth anniversary and the 150th anniversary of the publication of 'The Origin of Species', a book which changed the way we look at ourselves, a huge leap in man's understanding of living things.


Tea with Singaporean students
















Breakfast with Singaporean Students/Walkabout










Dinner hosted by Pro Vice Chancellor for International Strategy Dr Kate Pretty




Lunch hosted by Master of Christ's College Frank Kelly



Do read my posts on Beyond SG and link up on Facebook if you have an account

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home